About The Baker

My photo
Kepala Batas, Penang, Malaysia
Just me, my girl, my spatula & my beat-up old Lumix. It's my happy face, and this is my happy place.

UPDATES

Assalamualaikum & Hello everyone!

It has been a hectic few months for me, so forgive me for not updating much on this blog. Truth is, it's easier to make updates via Facebook and a lot of customers reach me through FB too. The picture albums there are more organized, so head over there for much easier viewing of my previous work, OK.


Now, I've never mentioned it here, but I can also provide special dietary cakes and cupcakes. So if you're in Penang and looking for something vegan (eggless & dairy-free) or gluten-free (no flour) or sugarless/sugar-free, do shoot me an email and we'll talk.

Deliveries to Penang Island and surrounding areas is still available, but due to rising costs, I'll have to increase the delivery charge. You would understand, right? The fuel, time, energy, not to mention, vehicle maintenance, and the worst of all, traffic jams - they can just zap you dry :)

Hugs & kisses to all my loyal customers. Love you guys lots!

Friday, December 18, 2009

THE CAKE CALLED IMPERFECTION

As someone famous once quoted, there is a certain beauty in imperfection. Here's my first brave attempt at making a fondant cake, full of flaws and full of love. It was a gift for my the right hand man of my company who got hitched recently. A way of saying thank you for remaining faithful with us for all these while.


From this side, you can't really see what's wrong with it.



But from here, all the 'cut & paste' work are so clear! It was really nerve-wrecking making this cake. First challenge, a simple butter cake or chocolate would be easier to bake but I wanted the cake to have real flavour so I opted for a carrot cake with loads of raisins, walnuts and white chocolate. The only problem was, although I doubled the recipe, the shape came out weird! Not exactly what I had in mind coz this is my first time making a full-fledged cake since... I can't remember when! Padan muka.

Second challenge, I don't have large rolling pin! Searched high and low for one, and when I do found one it costs around RM17! Gila apa? I should have borrowed my mom's but I forgot, so in the end, no rolling pin. Only a puny sized one that I've been using to roll those tiny bits of fondant. So I used that to make a large fondant piece to cover the cake, and you guessed it, it didn't cover the whole cake. Mampus, had to make lots of 'cut & paste' leaves to hide the flaws. To make matters worse, while I was engrossed with some rolling action, the cake just fell from the table! One of the lights in the kitchen wasn't working, so I might have elbowed the cake or something trying to get around. What a klutz, huh. Luckily it didn't hit the floor and fell on a banquet chair. But imagine the damage it has done to the cake, so more 'cut & paste' flowers lah.

I'm lucky Bad appreciated my effort and thought my creation looked kinda cool. He even tasted the cake and his testimony - marvelous!

Now, note to self, buy a rolling pin, fix the lighting in the kithen and learn to bake a proper cake!

6 comments:

  1. wow.. makin canggih Anne... cantik kek awak...
    tak ketara sgt apa yg kurang tu.. at least dah cover dengn bunga/daun tu kira orait ...

    Anne buat sugarpaste/fondant sendiri ke?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too pretty to be eaten! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a delight to watch your growth in this line. Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. rizza, takde apa yg canggihnya. still merangkak. the fondant tu beli kedai kek ready-made. the owner used halagel products katanya. i'm planning to make my own soon.

    sarah, tq! the flower je cantik, the rest of it, buruk!

    wiz, hehe, slowwwwwwwly.... thnks for the kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous ok, i love the color combo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...