About The Baker

My photo
Kepala Batas, Penang, Malaysia
Just me, my girl, my spatula & my beat-up old Lumix. It's my happy face, and this is my happy place.

UPDATES

Assalamualaikum & Hello everyone!

It has been a hectic few months for me, so forgive me for not updating much on this blog. Truth is, it's easier to make updates via Facebook and a lot of customers reach me through FB too. The picture albums there are more organized, so head over there for much easier viewing of my previous work, OK.


Now, I've never mentioned it here, but I can also provide special dietary cakes and cupcakes. So if you're in Penang and looking for something vegan (eggless & dairy-free) or gluten-free (no flour) or sugarless/sugar-free, do shoot me an email and we'll talk.

Deliveries to Penang Island and surrounding areas is still available, but due to rising costs, I'll have to increase the delivery charge. You would understand, right? The fuel, time, energy, not to mention, vehicle maintenance, and the worst of all, traffic jams - they can just zap you dry :)

Hugs & kisses to all my loyal customers. Love you guys lots!

Saturday, February 27, 2010

FIT FOR A KING

One of the downside of baking home made treats is, you can't expect them to look like professionally done store bought cakes. So many things could go wrong in your home kitchen that you'll completely lose any control you have over a host of factors; temperature, equipments, ingredients etc. Ask any baker and they'll tell you that their biggest challenge would be making sure their buttercreams doesn't melt away.

This humongous cake was specially ordered for Fahd who turns 4 last week. His mom (cutesy little thing Aisyah) wanted a chocolate cake with ganache and decorated with baby blocks. Because it was so heavy, I used my grandma's melamine tray to transport the cake coz I felt that the cake board was too flimsy. The extremely hot weather also wrecked my extra thick ganache and made it really drippy as soon as I took the cake out of the fridge to let it set. Probably I should let the ganache sit in the fridge for a while to make it real firm, but I'm not sure if that would solve the problem with the heat wave these days.



It is rare that the baker herself is invited for the party itself, and we had a helluva time and loads of fun at Fahd's picnic style birthday party. Such a sweet memory for me and my daughter. The birthday boy is such a sweet little thing.

"Aunty, if you're in trouble, just come to my house, okay?"

Haha, sure thing dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...