About The Baker

My photo
Kepala Batas, Penang, Malaysia
Just me, my girl, my spatula & my beat-up old Lumix. It's my happy face, and this is my happy place.

UPDATES

Assalamualaikum & Hello everyone!

It has been a hectic few months for me, so forgive me for not updating much on this blog. Truth is, it's easier to make updates via Facebook and a lot of customers reach me through FB too. The picture albums there are more organized, so head over there for much easier viewing of my previous work, OK.


Now, I've never mentioned it here, but I can also provide special dietary cakes and cupcakes. So if you're in Penang and looking for something vegan (eggless & dairy-free) or gluten-free (no flour) or sugarless/sugar-free, do shoot me an email and we'll talk.

Deliveries to Penang Island and surrounding areas is still available, but due to rising costs, I'll have to increase the delivery charge. You would understand, right? The fuel, time, energy, not to mention, vehicle maintenance, and the worst of all, traffic jams - they can just zap you dry :)

Hugs & kisses to all my loyal customers. Love you guys lots!

Sunday, August 30, 2009

SPANISH FLAIR - DULCE DE LECHE CUPCAKES

First things first, what the heck is dulce de leche? It means 'milk sweet' in Spanish, and basically it's a thick rich sauce made from caramelized milk. Especially popular in the American countries, dulce le leche (DDL) is also the basis for the elaboration of many sweets and desserts in Argentine, Uruguayan and Chilean cuisine.
Thank you, Mr. Wiki for the info. It seems simple, caramelized milk - usually the usual canned condensed milk is used to make home made DDL, but reading the instructions and the many versions of making it just scared the ponytails outta me! Still, my heart was set to make DDL by hook or by crook, simply because the sound of it spells absolute decadence!

After four (can you believe it? FOUR!) failures while making DDL in  various methods, my caramel milk finally came together at my fifth try. I'm not saying that the last try was the least nerve-wrecking, but at least, it was a success. Stirred a can of susu pekat in my teflon pan for more than half an hour till my right hand was shaking while I took this photo!


Sweet caramel, come to momma!

Since it took me too much time making the DDL, I was in a big rush to attend my aunty's iftar do. It didn't help either that my oven stopped working halfway! Yeah, I have a temperamental oven. After pujuk-pujuk the oven for a while, like a light from the heavens shining upon my oven, the bulb turned on! Haha, continue baking lah, thankfully tak bantat!

I rushed to Mak Yuh's house just 5 minutes before the azan call. The cupcakes were still piping hot, and I had to bring my container of frosting and sprinkles to her house so that I can do my decorations over there. After our scrumptious dinner, the little ones were already bugging me about those cuppies. Tak sabar-sabar, I've never had so many audience watching me making my cupcakes! You can imagine how kecoh it was to have 8 little kiddies around you and begging and whining literally in your ears.

In the end, after I frosted the cuppies, I let each one of them put chocolate sprinkles and colourful confettis on them. All hell broke loose - the shoving and shouting, 8 pairs of eager hands all fighting for space. I'm surprised no cuppies were hurt in the process.

The decorated cuppies





 The excited kids, restless after being told that Kak Anne need just another photo before they can have a bite!























After all that chaos, managed to save one for myself. Was looking for the right background and setting to take a decent photo, saw the casserole lid, alah bolehlah! So guys, there you have it. My very first, very beautiful Spanish Flair - dulce de leche cupcakes with dulce de leche frosting. Mmm, mmm, delicioso!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...